I really love a quick homemade meal, and for lunch this week I whipped up this little stir fry. From the minute I put on the kettle to the minute I sat down to eat, it all only took 15 minutes! I always try to use up the already-cut vegetables in the fridge, food from the freezer along with jars from the pantry and this was a perfect example of delicious food made in minutes. (I’m actually eating it as I type – Multitasking Queen!) The pantry ingredients are all from an Asian supermarket, which I highly recommend to visit at least once a month.
Prep: 3 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Ready in 15 minutes
Coconut oil for frying
5 frozen chicken nuggets/goujons/tenders – optional
1 packet of egg noodles – reserve two tablespoons of its water
1 teaspoon soya sauce
1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot water
1/2 red pepper, chopped
3 slices courgette, chopped
1 handful frozen peas
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili bean sauce
- For the chicken: I use our Convection Oven setting on the microwave, at 200°C for 10 minutes. Turn chicken over half-way. (Alternatively, place your chicken on a baking tray in a preheated oven, also at 200°C for 10 minutes.) Once the chicken is on, cook the noodles according to the packet.
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil (or 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil) in a non-stick saucepan or wok until hot. At medium-high heat add the courgette & red peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add in the peas. Turn down the heat and add the minced garlic & chili bean sauce and fry for one minute. Be careful as the pan will begin to spit.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the soya sauce, sweet chili sauce and hot water, then pour into the saucepan and stir.
- At this point the noodles should be cooked. Add the noodles to the pan, but don’t pour out the water! Mix everything together, then add two tablespoons of the hot water. This helps your dish to not be dry.
- Pour your stir fry into your favourite dinner bowl, pop the chicken on top and enjoy!
Recipe by Nirina Plunkett
Images © Nirina Plunkett